Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Gold Diggers move to 4-0, 2-0 in National League

Last weekend was pretty football packed! On Saturday I went with Esben and met a couple guys at a game between the Copenhagen Towers and the Slagelse Wolfpack. The Towers play at a nice stadium and are unbeaten this year, and the Wolfpack entered the game winless. The Towers would appear to be our major competition in the National Conference as they are led by their talented American QB. The Towers started off quite fast, scoring 34 points in the 1st quarter on their way to a large win. I stuck around until the beginning of the 4th, as the score was getting out of hand (not quite 90-0), and the weather was starting to look bad. I got a ride to one of the metro stations and stopped in at a Netto to buy some food. I got home just in time to watch a 25 minute segment on Danish TV about the Gold Diggers and our trip to England. I didn't really know what to expect, and didn't find out more about it until Sunday, but it was really well done and freaking great publicity for our team. Apparently it is a TV show that follows around lesser known sports and focuses on a player, which happened to be our great Danish QB. The only real Danish thing I understood, kind of, was when they were explaining the rules of football and how it is played. I made my debut on Danish TV before I ever got the chance to be on American TV. I think my only shot at getting on the tube back home is to commit a crime--so I'll take my glory here.

Sunday was the longest day I've had since I was here. I woke up at 6 and the sun was shining brightly as I needed to catch the bus to arrive at the stadium by 7:45 for the U19 game at 11 am. Buses only run every hour, so I was super scared I would miss it and feel like an idiot. I was one of the first to arrive as I showed up at the same time as one of the other coaches. I was a bit in a trance as I am usually asleep at that time. I came prepared with breakfast and clothes for all types of weather (which I would need, as it was sunny, cloudy, and hailed for 20 seconds!). The players set up the field and we did some coaches stuff and ate our food and just got ready for the game. We won our game 50-0 and due to the mercy rule that takes effect after a margin of 50 points, the game ended around the beginning of the 4th quarter I believe, and we did our best to stretch it out. It's was just an amazing difference between the amount of players each team had. I would say we had around 25 guys on game day, they may have had 15. It just makes a huge difference having numbers, especially in a game like football. The guys played great and got the well deserved victory.

Our game kicked off at 3pm. It was the kind of game we expected as we walked away with a 61-7 win. Unfortunately, they scored, but we had some miscommunication of defense and they scored. Oh well. The most frustrating part of the game for me was my inability to block any punts. I was literally inches away 4 times, and I was getting just extremely pissed. I guess it's a good thing when I'm worried about my lack of blocked punts. I also got hooked up with my Gold Diggers gear--some shirts, a polo, hoodie, shorts, and sweatpants-- all under armour. I am quite a lucky person!

After the game, I went with some of the coaches to all you can eat ribs at the oldest amusement park on the planet. All of the information I gather is from Wikipedia (a pretty accurate view of Wikipedia can be found here). The origins date back over 400 years to people just being fascinated by a natural spring. People would always meet and gather there, and slowly tents and stand popped up. It was hard to tell what kind of route we were taking, but it seems like there were a lot of food places, some arcades, and a lot of carnival type games. Kim was telling me about a roller coaster that is so loud, it can only be run a so often so it doesn't disturb locals too much. We went to a restaurant and had all you can eat ribs and fries. Holy crap it was so good. There's a good feeling when you know you are getting something good that you don't eat often, like ribs, and know it's okay to have as much as you want. My favorite part when it comes to eating ribs is the sauces you put on them. This place had 4- a regular barbecue, garlic bbq, honey bbq, and chili. They were all equally as good. I personally enjoyed mixing the honey and chili, but that's kind of weird and beyond any point. I ate my fair share of ribs, more than I had all of 2010 I would probably say. That was a delicious meal. I slept like a baby after eating all that and having a longer than normal day.

This week, the U19 has a short turn around as we travel to my home, Amager, to play the Demons on Saturday. We are expecting to win here, and I am secretly hoping for another shutout. The Kronborg Knights travel to Søllerød on Sunday. The Knights are winless this year losing quite largely to the Towers and the Aalborg 89ers. They run a Wing T offense which is something I haven't seen since high school. Their coach is American and comes with high regard, and they seem to be heading in the right direction. They have had a few weeks off to sharpen their timing and should be fresh. It will be an exciting game for us to test our discipline.

No comments:

Post a Comment